Charles Tennant of St.Rollox Monument in Glasgow's Victorian Necropolis. Designed by Partick Park in1838; with other monuments

- Image ID: BC2BYD
Elizabeth Leyden / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: BC2BYD
Tennant was born in 1768, and having trained as a weaver, he went on to become a bleacher in Darnley. In 1797 he discovered that mixing chlorine and lime produced a controllable bleaching agent. In 1799 he established his St Rollox Chemical Works which became the largest chemical plant in Europe. However, many of his workers suffered perforated septums and/or blindness because of continued exposure to toxic chemicals and were colloquially known as ‘Tennant’s White Mice’.
Location: Glasgow Scotland UK