In June 1942 the men of Lidice were shot by the Nazi's and the children sent to a concentration camp. The murders were ordered by Hitler in revenge for the assassination of Nazi deputy Reinhard Heydrich. The assassins, 2 Czech agents trained in the U.K. were falsely thought to have been harboured in Lidice, a village north-west of Prague. The children were sent to Chelmno concentration camp, near Lodz in Poland and gassed in trucks. Beginning in 1969 and lasting 2 decades the powerful and moving bronze statues were sculpted by Professor Marie Uchytilova as a memorial to all child victims of war. There are 42 girls and 40 boys.