Tempelhof Airport was designated an airport in 1923 and Deutsche Luft Hansa was founded at Tempelhof in 1926. The first terminal was constructed in 1927 and it was the first airport to have an underground railway. The Nazi Government carried out a major reconstruction in the 1930s and it was to be the symbol of Hitler's 'World Capital', Germania. The building was designed to look like a flying eagle with the semicircular hangars forming the wings. The airport was used after the Second World War as a base for the Berlin Airlift, Operation Vittles. The Western Powers landed planes carrying food and supplies (1948-1949). Tempelhof was the main terminal for American Military planes during the cold war years until the fall of the Berlin Wall and the re-unification of Germany. The airport was closed in 2008 and is now a popular leisure area and city park, Tempelhofer Feld. In September 2015 it was announced that the airport would be used as an emergency refugee centre.