The simple and economical Cub is one of the most well loved light aircraft of all time, and helped make flying an affordable pastime for thousands of pilots in the years surrounding World War 2. The Piper Cub began life as the Taylor E-2, designed by C.G. Taylor. In the middle of 1930, his company, Taylor Brothers Aircraft Corporation While C.G. Taylor was ill, Walter Jamouneau reworked the E-2 Cub in early 1935, and the new type was named the J-2 Cub. It featured a revised tail shape, a fuselage with a faired-in rear turtledeck and a closed cockpit, a new airfoil wing with rounded wingtips, a redesigned cowling and a wider track undercarriage. Mr. Taylor was not happy with these developments and therefore decided to leave the company to form Taylor-Young Company. The first experimental J-2 was a conversion of an E-2 and first flew in early 1935. The first production aircraft followed in December the same year. The aircraft was powered by the 28kW (37hp) Continental A40-3. Effective November 1 1937 the company name was changed to Piper Aircraft Corporation, while continuing production of the J-2. During 1936-37, the J-2 was improved and updated, resulting in the J-3 Cub. The affordable J-3 became a runaway sales success and several thousand were sold before the USA's entry into WW2. From then on, all J-3 production was for the US Army Air Force, originally as the O-59 which quickly became the L-4. Also the US Navy ordered the aircraft, as the NE-1.