Annapolis Lighthouse marks Annapolis Royal and signals the end of navigable waters for vessels navigating the Annapolis River. The tower was built in 1889 on the water's edge on St. George Street at the site of the old Government House, which burned down in 1833.
The lighthouse is a white wooden pepper-shaker-style tower style standing 8.5 meters tall with a red lantern room and a fixed light.
In former days, the Annapolis waterfront was quite busy with the steamer City of Monticello providing passenger service to Saint John, New Brunswick and the Windsor and Annapolis Railway servicing a wharf in the harbour.
Vessels used to sail farther up the Annapolis River, but this is no longer possible due to the Annapolis Royal Tidal Power Generating Station that was completed in 1984.