Amsterdam Canals. Four bridges with many cyclists on the Prinsengracht canal with canal tour boats and small pleasure boats in spring
Contributor:Wim Wiskerke / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:55.4 MB (4.8 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:3592 x 5388 px | 30.4 x 45.6 cm | 12 x 18 inches | 300dpi
Date taken:May 7, 2016
Location:Prinsengracht, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Europe
Amsterdam Prinsengracht Canal, view towards the South with 4 of the more than 1500 bridges of Amsterdam. The bridge between the Haarlemmerstraat and Haarlemmerdijk with the Eenhoorn sluis (Unicorn Lock) in the foreground. All bridges in Amsterdam are numbered. This one is # 313 and it's name is the same as the lock: Eenhoornsluis. It dates from 1618. Sluis usually just means lock in Dutch, but in Amsterdam it's also used for a bridge without a lock. The second bridge is the Lekkeresluis (bridge # 59) with it's date Anno 1754 displayed on both sides of the main arch. The new traffic sign on the bridge reads: no amplified music on open boats. The traffic sign on the right of the arch means no waves allowed, because of the house boats. The third bridge is the Prinsensluis (bridge # 60) dating from 1767. The fourth is the Leliesluis (bridge # 61). Not exactly known is when the wooden bridge from around 1614, was redone in stone. Well known is the fact it was a stone bridge that collapsed in 1659 killing 7 or 8 people. It was rebuild shortly after that. It remains the most serious bridge calamity in Amsterdam till today. Not just remarkable for the amount of casualties, but also because it led to an inquest into the structural integrity of all bridges in Amsterdam. The Amsterdam Stock Exchange (1611) turned out to have been build over the water of the Rokin using the same faulty technique and had to be relocated for half a year. While repairs were being made the Stock Exchange was held in the Nieuwe Kerk, the New Church, around the corner on the Dam Square. The Leliesluis (Lilly Bridge) is very popular with tourists who visit the Anne Frank House on that stretch of the canal, just beyond the bridge on the left hand side.