King’s Wood, 59.4 ha (146.9 acres) of mixed broadleaf woodland lying on steep E slope of Pentewan valley above St Austell river. Now owned by Woodland Trust. Marked on maps as early as 1600 - land was once owned by Thomas of Lancaster who was beheaded March 1322, for treason against King Edward II. Originally oak coppice (bark used for tanning leather), with beech & sweet chestnut introduced by Penrice Estate. Sycamores have invaded the wood, and conifers were planted by Forestry Commission in 1960s (these are being removed). Alder coppice in wetter areas by river along with remains of the St Austell to Pentewan railway embankment: mineral line. Bluebells growing below hazel and sycamore beside a woodland path.