St George's Hospital is a teaching hospital in Tooting, London, founded in 1733, following a disagreement between medical staff and the Board of Governors over the expansion of the Westminster Infirmary. Amass exodus of medical staff left, in 1733, to set up what became St George's Hospital in the old Lanesborough House at Hyde Park Corner. Originally built in 1719 by James Lane, 2nd Viscount Lanesborough, it was at that time located in open countryside. The new St George's Hospital was arranged on three floors and accommodated 30 patients in two wards: one for men and one for women. The hospital was gradually extended and, by 1744, it had fifteen wards and over 250 patients.