Sculpture "Salome" after Oscar Wilde, 1963 by John Skelton. Hopetoun House, South Queensferry, Scotland, United Kingdom, Europe.
Contributor:Stan Pritchard / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:38.5 MB (2.5 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:2994 x 4500 px | 25.3 x 38.1 cm | 10 x 15 inches | 300dpi
Date taken:12 September 2020
Location:Hopetoun House and Grounds, South Queensferry, Scotland, United Kingdom, Europe.
John Skelton (1923-1999) was a sculptor and letter cutter. The sculpture was commissioned by the Third Marquess of Linlithgow and was erected in 1963 in the folly known as The Pulpit in the grounds of Hopetoun House. Salome is a tragedy by Oscar Wilde. The original 1891 version of the play was in French. Three years later an English translation was published. The play tells in one act the Biblical story of stepdaughter of the tetrarch Herod Antipas (identified as Salome by historian Josephus), who, to her stepfather's dismay but to the delight of her mother Herodias, requests the head of Jokanaan (John the Baptist) on a silver platter as a reward for pleasing Herod for her dancing, which is described for the first time in this play as the dance of the seven veils. Hopetoun House is a country house near South Queensferry owned by the Hopetoun House Preservation Trust, a charity established in 1974 to preserve the house and grounds as a national monument, to protect and improve their amenities, and to preserve the furniture, paintings, manuscripts, and other articles of historical interest associated with the house. The south wing of the house is occupied by the family of Adrian Hope, 4th Marquess of Linlithgow. The house is a Category A listed building and the grounds are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland. The house was built 1699–1701 and designed by Sir William Bruce. The house was then hugely extended from 1721 by William Adam until his death in 1748, being one of his most notable projects. The interior was completed by his sons John Adam and Robert Adam. The magnificent entrance hall dates from 1752.