The City Chambers or Municipal Buildings in Glasgow, Scotland, has functioned as the headquarters of Glasgow City Council since 1996, and of preceding forms of municipal government in the city since 1889, located on the eastern side of the city's George Square. An eminent example of Victorian civic architecture, the building was constructed between 1882 and 1888 to a competition winning design by Scottish architect William Young. a native of Paisley.
Inaugurated in August 1888 by Queen Victoria, the first council meeting was held within the chambers in October 1889. The building originally had an area of 5,016 m2 (53,990 sq ft). In 1923, an extension to the east side of the building in John Street was opened and in 1984 Exchange House in George Street was completed, increasing the size of the City Chambers complex to some 14,000 m2 - The Right Honourable Lord Provost of Glasgow is the convener of the Glasgow City Council. Elected by the city councillors, the Lord Provost serves not only as the chair of that body, but as a figurehead for the entire city. The office is equivalent in many ways to the institution of mayor that exists in the cities of many other countries.
The Lord Provost of the City of Glasgow, by virtue of office, is also:
Lord-Lieutenant of the County of the City of Glasgow
a Commissioner of Northern Lighthouses.
Each of the 32 Scottish local authorities elects a provost, but it is only the four main cities, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee that have a Lord Provost, who also serves as the lord-lieutenant for the city. This is codified in the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994. As of 2017, the role attracts an salary of £41,546, plus an annual expenses budget of £5000