Noup Head Lighthouse Orkneys on the island of Westray Light Established 1898 Engineer David A & Charles Stevenson Position Latit

- Image ID: AMXTRB
Image ID: AMXTRB
Noup Head Lighthouse Orkneys on the island of Westray Light Established 1898 Engineer David A & Charles Stevenson Position Latitude 59° 19.9’N Longitude 03° 04.0’W Character Flashing White every 30 secs Elevation 79 metres Nominal Range 22 miles Structure White Tower 24 metres high 1895 (David A. and Charles Stevenson). Active; focal plane 34 m (113 ft); two white flashes; separated by 3.6 s; every 15 s. 27 m (88 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery; painted white; lantern painted black. An automated weather station stands near the lighthouse. Another photo is available. The lighthouse; considered the most isolated British light station; was originally equipped with a giant "hyperradiant" Fresnel lens almost 5 m (16 ft) in diameter. Sule Skerry is a rocky islet with an area of 15 ha (35 acres) about 65 km (40 mi) west of the Orkneys. The island is a critically important nesting site for birds. (In Scottish folklore it was also the home of the Great Silkie; a sea monster.) Accessible only by boat or helicopter. Site and tower closed. Operator: Northern Lighthouse Board. ARLHS SCO-231; Admiralty A3868; NGA 3568. Light lighthouse house beacon pharologist Pharology bag bagger bagging spot spotter spotting tick ticker ticking princess Anne Ann champion Pharos lights of Alexandria Seven Wonders World burn enemy ships Greek architect Sostratus Tower of Hercules tourist tourism
Location: Noup Head Orkneys island of Westray