Managing and transporting, during the mining and processing, of titanium mineral sands containing heavy minerals which include ilmenite, rutile and zircon in the production of titanium dioxide pigment and titanium metal etc. Dedicated port facility with transhipment barge vessels where mineral product is loaded and transported to deep water transhipment point into OGV (oceangoing vessel) for export worldwide.
Titanium dioxide pigment has a brilliant whiteness and a high opacity and principally used in the production of paper, plastics, paints and paper. The pigment is also inert, non-toxic, is UV protective and other end use markets include use in food additives, cosmetics, pharmaceutical, ceramics and textiles. It has replaced toxic lead oxide in consumer applications such as paint, due to health issues related to lead toxicity.
The zirconium silicate mineral zircon is also found, whose primary application is in the manufacture of opacifiers and as a frit compound for pigment glazes in the ceramics industry, for decorative wall and floor tiles plus sanitary ware.
Titanium metal is a light strong metal with a high melting point, resistance to corrosion and metal attack and good thermal shock resistance.
It is used in aerospace industries such as in the production of airframes and jet engines and other demanding applications which require a low co-efficient thermal expansion.
Rutile and some grades of ilmenite are also used as a component of fluxes for coating welding electrodes – used in construction and ship building industries.
Titanium Dioxide pigment accounts for 90% of global market, while titanium metal and welding applications account for remaining 10% of global market.