Twin Seater Ground attack fighter with a maximum speed of 1386mph and a ceiling of 60,000 feet maximum range 1750 miles. Ground attack aircraft of the US Air Force and Royal Air Force, originally considered for the Fleet Air Arm. The Phantom was first purchased for the Royal Air Force in May 1969, First squadron to receive the Phantom was 6 squadron. The types were ordered. The FGR2 for ground attack and the Fg1 for Air defence. The first FG1 arrived for No. 43 squadron in September 1969. The FGR2 were replaced in the Royal Air Force in 1974. A total of 168 phantoms were ordered for the Royal Air Force between 1969 and 1974. the Fleet Air arm received their first Phantoms (FGI) in 1968 and remained with the Royal Navy until 1978. The RAF Phantom, like the Royal Navy version, was powered by a pair of Spey 202/203 turbofans. The RAF preferred the cheaper and proven J79 turbojet for its Phantom, but political considerations dictated the choice of a British-designed engine. The US designation for the RAF Phantom was F-4M, with the RAF designation being Phantom FGR.Mk 2.
Location: RAF Lossiemouth, Moray. Grampian Region. Scotland. United Kingdom.