Lewis Carroll was the son of Charles Dodgson, the Rector of All Saint's Church in Daresbury village and Frances Jane Lutwidge, his real name was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, the pen name Lewis Carroll is derived from his first 2 names, Charles and Lutwidge. He lived in the parsonage, which was bult in 1819, until 1843 when he was 11 years old when his father was given the living of Croft-on-Tees and the family went to live in North Yorkshire.
The parsonage was a large, double-fronted dwelling built from stone and hand made bricks, it had a schoolroom, parlour, cellars and seven upstairs rooms. Nine of Charles' ten siblings were also born in the house, his father took in paying pupils who stayed to learn Latin and Ancient Greek. The 1841 census lists a total of 22 people living in the house.
Though it was a happy home for the Dodgson family, the house was distant from the rector's parishoners at Daresbury. It was empty when it burnt down in around 1884.
The site contains a commemorative stone and a series of interpretive displays. The entrance to the parsonage is marked by a metal arch which echoes the archway that led into the original house, while the well, which once stood at the rear of the house, features a dormouse worked in metal. The sculpture which traces where the walls would have stood was designed by Christine Wilcox-Baker and crafted by Dave Broadbent. The site is now owned by the National Trust.