Alamy logo

Holy Trinity Church, chapel of ease,Market Gate, Sankey St, Warrington, Cheshire, England, WA1 1XG, in autumn

Holy Trinity Church, chapel of ease,Market Gate, Sankey St, Warrington, Cheshire, England, WA1 1XG, in autumn Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

2ABJGGP

File size:

48.3 MB (2.6 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

3648 x 4624 px | 30.9 x 39.1 cm | 12.2 x 15.4 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

16 October 2019

Location:

Market Gate, Sankey St, Warrington, Cheshire, England, WA1 1XG

More information:

Holy Trinity Church is in the centre of the town of Warrington, Cheshire, England. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Warrington and the deanery of Warrington A chapel of ease known as Trinity Chapel was built on the site in 1708 to relieve pressure on the parish church of St Elphin's. It was built as an oratory by Peter Legh of Lyme Park. By the 1750s the chapel was too small for its congregation and in 1758 subscriptions were raised to build a new church, which was consecrated in 1760. The architecture is in the style of James Gibbs, but he was ill at the time the church was built and it is thought it was designed by one of Gibbs' associates. In 1862 a west clock tower was added which was designed by W. P. Coxon, the Borough Surveyor; the tower belongs to the town rather than to the church. In 1974 the south aisle was re-designed to form the Garven Room, a servery, a vestry and toilets. By the 1970s the roof had been damaged by wet and dry rot, woodworm and death watch beetle and was replaced in 1978–79. By 1990 the pipe organ was beyond repair and it has been replaced by a Makin electronic organ. In 1988 the west end was remodelled, forming a lobby. In 1997 the east end was reordered, adding a room and extending the sanctuary area. In 1999 the clock was refurbished by Warrington Borough Council as a Millennium project The church is built in Georgian style. Its front is constructed in sandstone, and the rear in brick with stone dressings. The stonework at the front is rusticated. The front aspect is in four stages; at the base is a rusticated plinth, above which is a tier of windows with a Doric doorcase at the west of the front. Then comes an upper tier of windows with Ionic pilasters and at the top a cornice and a plain parapet. In the east wall is a Palladian window. The tower is in cast iron and h

Save up to 70% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts