The Cathedral Church of the Holy Spirit, Guildford is the Anglican cathedral at Guildford, Surrey, England, designed by Sir Edward Maufe. Guildford was made a diocese in its own right in 1927, and work on its new cathedral, began nine years later, with the foundation stone being laid by Dr Cosmo Gordon Lang, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1936. Construction was interrupted by the Second World War, and the cathedral was not consecrated until 17 May 1961. It stands in a commanding spot on Stag Hill - so named because the Kings of England used to hunt here - and its solid red brick outline is visible for miles around; it immediately overlooks the University of Surrey. Its bricks are made from clay taken from the hill on which it stands. Scenes in the classic horror film The Omen were filmed at the Cathedral.