The Gliwice Radio Tower is the transmission tower of the Gliwice, Poland, radio station, situated at 50°18'48.2 N and 18°41'20 E on Tarnogórska Road in Gliwice. It is an 118-metre high construction of larch wood framework. Gliwice Radio Tower is perhaps the tallest wooden structure in the world. It is designed to carry aerials for medium wave broadcasting, but the transmitter is not in service any more. Gliwice Radio Tower was built in 1935 in order to replace the former smaller transmitter of Gliwice situated in Raudener Street. It went in service on December 23rd, 1935. On August 31st, 1939, the attack on Gleiwitz radio station took place. The transmission facility was not demolished in World War II. From October 4th, 1945, until the inaugauration of the new transmitter in Ruda Śląska in 1955, the Gliwice transmitter was used for medium wave broadcasting of the Polish Broadcasting Company. After 1955, the transmitter was used as a jammer against medium wave transmitters broadcasting Polish programmes, e.g. Radio Free Europe. The medium wave transmitter is no longer workable, because the final stage is missing. Today, the Gliwice Radio Tower carries multiple transmission aerials for mobile phone services and a low power FM transmitter. Following the decision of the City Council taken on December 2, 2004, the Museum on Radio History and Visual Arts in Gliwice is located in the previous Radio Transmitter.