Fragment, c. 1900-1910. In this work, originally forming an altarpiece, the graceful figures are coloured with vitreous glazes, essentially a substitute for the more costly carved marble. The two shields below bear the arms of the Borgherini Family, and probably graced a chapel in Florence owned or endowed by this family. The artist, Benedetto Buglioni, was a sculptor of stature in early sixteenth century Florence. He learned the technique of glazed terracotta sculpture from the Della Robbia Family, examples of whose work may be seen nearby in this gallery.