Famous Robin Hood statue at Nottingham Castle,the archer, bronze,bow,arrow,1952
Contributor:Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
File size:57.1 MB (3.4 MB Compressed download)
Releases:Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?
Dimensions:5472 x 3648 px | 46.3 x 30.9 cm | 18.2 x 12.2 inches | 300dpi
Date taken:19 July 2018
Location:Robin Hood statue, Castle Place, Nottingham, Notts,Nottinghamshire,England,UK, NG1 6EL
Cast in eight pieces of half-inch thick bronze (made to last 6,000 years) and weighing half a ton, the 7ft effigy of Nottingham's legendary outlaw proudly stands on a two-and-a-half ton block of white Clipsham stone. It is surrounded by small studies of Little John, Friar Tuck, Alan A Dale and Will Scarlett, whilst wall plaques illustrate scenes from the tales of Robin Hood & his Merry Men. In typical outlaw style Robin Hood stands outside of Nottingham Castle, the point of his arrow aimed at the gatehouse and the establishment within. Join celebrities and millions of visitors who have had their photo taken at the famous Robin Hood statue at Nottingham Castle. History of the famous figure: On 24th July 1952, the statue of Robin Hood was unveiled by the Duchess of Portland on the Robin Hood Lawn, beneath Nottingham Castle, in the remains of the moat on Castle Road. It was a warm sunny day when 500 schoolchildren sat attentively on the grass in the special VIP enclosure to watch the ceremony of the statue and its complementary plaques and sculptures being revealed to the public, accompanied by a fanfare from the band of the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment. Gifted to the city by local businessman, Philip E F Clay, the impressive figure was intended to provide something tangible for visitors to see relating to Robin Hood, Nottingham's world-famous folk hero. Mr Clay was a successful director of well-known city firms Elastic Yarns Ltd and Fine Wires Ltd and in 1949, at a cost of £5,000, he commissioned the respected Royal Academy sculptor, James Woodford, to design and make the Robin Hood statue, plaques and statuary. On completion, they were to be presented to the city to commemorate the visit of Princess Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh on 28th June 1949 during the city's quincentenary celebrations. Mr Clay had originally wished to remain anonymous.