Entrance to Glasgow City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow, Scotland,UK, G2 1AL

- Image ID: 2AAT2T3
Entrance to Glasgow City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow, Scotland,UK, G2 1AL Stock Photo
Enlarge
https://www.alamy.com/licenses-and-pricing/?v=1 https://www.alamy.com/entrance-to-glasgow-city-chambers-george-square-glasgow-scotlanduk-g2-1al-image333672643.html
Entrance to Glasgow City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow, Scotland,UK, G2 1AL
Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: 2AAT2T3
The City Chambers or Municipal Buildings in Glasgow, Scotland, has functioned as the headquarters of Glasgow City Council since 1996, and of preceding forms of municipal government in the city since 1889, located on the eastern side of the city's George Square. An eminent example of Victorian civic architecture, the building was constructed between 1882 and 1888 to a competition winning design by Scottish architect William Young. a native of Paisley. Inaugurated in August 1888 by Queen Victoria, the first council meeting was held within the chambers in October 1889. The building originally had an area of 5,016 m2 (53,990 sq ft). In 1923, an extension to the east side of the building in John Street was opened and in 1984 Exchange House in George Street was completed, increasing the size of the City Chambers complex to some 14,000 m2
Location: George Square, Glasgow, Scotland,UK, G2 1AL