Divinity School, Bodleian Library, Broad Street, Oxford, Cottswolds, South East England, UK

- Image ID: PB6G4N
Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: PB6G4N
The Divinity School is a medieval building and room in the Perpendicular style in Oxford, England, part of the University of Oxford. Built between 1427 and 1483, it is the oldest surviving purpose-built building for university use, specifically for lectures, oral exams and discussions on theology. It is no longer used for this purpose, although Oxford does offer degrees in divinity taught by its Faculty of Theology, which is housed at the Theology Faculty Centre, 41 St Giles', Oxford. The ceiling consists of very elaborate lierne vaulting with bosses (455 of them), designed by William Orchard in the 1480s. The building is physically attached to the Bodleian Library (with Duke Humfrey's Library on the first floor above it the Bodleian Library), and is opposite the Sheldonian Theatre where students matriculate and graduate. At the far end from the Bodleian Library entrance, a door leads to Convocation House (built 1634–7).
Location: Broad Street, Oxford OX1 3BB, UK