Cold tap in Bathroom at Barrington Court, Ilminster, Somerset , UK TA19 0NQ

- Image ID: DEJMNX
Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: DEJMNX
Barrington Court is a Tudor manor house begun around 1538 and completed in the late 1550s, with a vernacular 17th-century stable court (1675), situated in Barrington, near Ilminster, Somerset, England. The house was owned by several families by 1745 after which it fell into disrepair and was used as a tenant farm. After repair by Alfred Hoare Powell, it was the first house acquired by the National Trust, in 1907, on the recommendation of the antiquarian Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley. In the 1920s the house was renovated, the stable block turned into a residence and several outbuildings, gardens and gateways constructed. The house was originally surrounded by a medieval deer park and in the 17th century a formal garden was constructed. This had largely disappeared until a new garden was laid out by Gertrude Jekyll in an Arts and Crafts-style in the first half of the 20th century. It now contains walled kitchen gardens, fruit orchards and ornamental gardens.
Location: Barrington Court, Ilminster, Somerset , UK TA19 0NQ