Alamy logo

Christchurch Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin City,The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, medieval cathedral, Ireland

Christchurch Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin City,The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, medieval cathedral, Ireland Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

2DPGJRC

File size:

86.1 MB (3.7 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

6720 x 4480 px | 56.9 x 37.9 cm | 22.4 x 14.9 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

11 September 2019

Location:

Christchurch Place, Wood Quay, Dublin 8, Ireland

More information:

Christ Church Cathedral, more formally The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, is the cathedral of the United Dioceses of Dublin and Glendalough and the cathedral of the ecclesiastical province of the United Provinces of Dublin and Cashel in the (Anglican) Church of Ireland.[1] It is situated in Dublin, Ireland, and is the elder of the capital city's two medieval cathedrals, the other being St Patrick's Cathedral. The cathedral was founded in the early 11th century under the Viking king Sitric Silkenbeard. It was rebuilt in stone in the late 12th century under the Norman potentate Strongbow, and considerably enlarged in the early 13th century, using Somerset stones and craftsmen. A partial collapse in the 16th century left it in poor shape and the building was extensively renovated and rebuilt in the late 19th century, giving it the form it has today, including the tower, flying buttresses, and distinctive covered footbridge. The cathedral was extensively renovated and rebuilt from 1871 to 1878 by George Edmund Street, with the sponsorship of distiller Henry Roe of Mount Anville. The great 14th-century choir was demolished and a new eastern end was built over the original crypt. He built a new chapter house. The tower was rebuilt. The south nave arcade was rebuilt. The flying buttresses were added as a decorative feature. The north porch was removed. The baptistry was built in its place.[7] Street built the adjacent Synod Hall, taking in the last remnant of St Michael and All Angels's Church, including the bell tower. The synod house is linked to the cathedral by Street's iconic covered footbridge

Save up to 70% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts