We’re celebrating International Children’s Day as we travel round the world to explore what schooling is like for children all over the world. According to the Population Reference Bureau, more than one quarter of the world’s population is under 15 years old, meaning there’s a whole lot of school-aged children in the world!
So, whilst children in the UK are having a rest during the half term break, we wanted to explore what life is like for children worldwide both in and out of the classroom. We’ve picked out 15 images that show just how precious education is and the lengths some incredible children will go to just to get to school…
Before students can learn, they have to get to school first…for these children the local bus isn’t an option.
1. In the Philippines these students ride a bamboo raft to their school in the Rizal Province.
2. These school children in Siem Reap, Cambodia don’t have the safest journey to school either.
Once they’ve arrived at school it’s all about the classroom and the lessons.
3. It’s a very colourful lesson for these children in rural India.
4. These children in Lijiang, China are being taught the traditional art of calligraphy.
5. This group of boys are dressed in a traditional Peruvian school uniform in their classroom in Huilloc Valley, Peru.
6. These children at the Maori Primary School are in an AIDS Education class.
7. This elementary school has an amazing view into the mountains surrounding Muzzafarabad in Pakistan.
8. A group of young children are getting creative in an art class in Kolkota, India.
9. At this charity-run school in Ethiopia this group of children are eagerly waiting to be picked to answer the question!
Time to step outside the classroom and explore what kids around the world do for fun at school…
10. It’s playtime for these school children in Kibosho Primary School in the Kilimanjaro Region of Tanzania. What a beautiful view.
10. Some young Shaolin Kung Fu students are stood on the steps of their school in China, ready for the opening ceremony of Zhengzhou International Wushu Festival.
11. School children from New York City play on the hills in Washington Square Park.
12. A group of students in Havana, Cuba get active during gym class on the road.
13. A group of girls from a school in Cape Town, South Africa take part in a relay race.
14. School children in Newbury, England are enjoying a game of football on a rare sunny day.
For more educational images take a look at our teaching and learning category.