Berlin-Wilmersdorf, Fehrbelliner Platz 1. State Administration Office of Berlin. Nazi-era building by architect Philipp Schaefer for Karstadt with exterior shell limestone facade
Fehrbelliner Platz 1 was built to plans by architect Philipp Schaefer as the Karstadt administration building for Rudolph Karstadt AG, The building was built in 1935-36 and had a diamond shaped plan with a steel skeleton construction, a central wing and two courtyards. The exterior facade is covered with shell limestone and tufa slabs and the courtyard facade is clinker brick. Inside it houses over five hundred rooms, seven staircases and nine lifts.
The SS seized the building in 1943 during WW2.
After the liberation of Berlin, the Karstadt building and the House of the German labor front at Fehrbelliner Platz 4, were confiscated by the British Allies. The War damage was repaired and the buildings were converted into the headquarters of their armed forces. The Karstadt building (Fehrbelliner Platz 1) was renamed Cumberland House.
In 1951 Cumberland House was handed over to the Senate and it is a listed architectural monument. It is now the State administration Office of Berlin (LVwA) and it manages the employees of the state authorities