Berlin, Schöneberg. Wittenbergplatz Station Underground U-bahn railway Station serves U1,U2 & U3 lines.
Wittenbergplatz Station is a Berlin U-Bahn station located on Wittenbergplatz square in the northwestern corner of Schöneberg. It serves the U 1, U 2 and U 3 lines and is the only U-Bahn station in the city with five adjacent tracks on three platforms. The early twentieth century station building and entrance hall was built in the Art Nouveau style to designs by Alfred Grenander and is a listed architectural monument (1911-1913).
Wittenbergplatz is one of the oldest U-Bahn stations in Berlin and the first line opened on 11 March 1902. This ‘Stammstrecke’ (the present-day U1) consisted of two rail tracks and two side platforms. Its refurbishment commenced in 1910 and a new station serving three U-Bahn lines opened on 1 December 1912 with two island platforms and one side platform under a single roof.
The station building was badly damaged World War II and reconstructed after the war. The construction of the Berlin Wall resulted in closure of the present-day U2 line to Nollendorfplatz between 1972 and 1993.The station was renovated by architect Borchardt between1980 and 1983.
The busy West Berlin station is situated on a major shopping street, Tauentzienstraße, with the KaDeWe department store across the street.