Alamy logo

Berkeley Arms Ancilles Court, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England, UK

Berkeley Arms Ancilles Court, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England, UK Stock Photo
Preview

Image details

Contributor:

Tony Smith / Alamy Stock Photo

Image ID:

PE1J51

File size:

56.2 MB (2.6 MB Compressed download)

Releases:

Model - no | Property - noDo I need a release?

Dimensions:

6496 x 3024 px | 55 x 25.6 cm | 21.7 x 10.1 inches | 300dpi

Date taken:

10 August 2018

Location:

8 Church Street Tewkesbury, GL20 5PA

More information:

The Berkeley Arms is a Grade II listed building. There have been many improvements to the premises over at least 800 years, the surviving oldest part being a 12th century barn, now a medieval style dinning area. The cellars are built in very old stone. The very substantial main chimney supports many timbers of the newer front part of the premisses, suggesting alteration works around 1550. Berkeley Arms Tewkesbury Before the 1850's the Berkeley Arms was known as the 'Queen's Arms', however the former landlord 'Sam Pearse' was made bankrupt in 1843. He had borrowed £2,000 against the pub, much more than it's value at the time. Berkeley Arms Tewkesbury No mention of the 'Queen's Arms' appears thereafter, but in 1849 a tenant called Hathaway occupies the premises. Licence records show he was registered as the Landlord of the 'Berkeley Arms' in 1869. Wadworth's Berkeley Arms Tewkesbury With the increase in cycle touring in the 1930's, the Berkeley Arms became an 'Offical Stop-over' for the British Cyclists' Touring Club in the days of 'cloth caps' and arty 'silk mufflers'. In the 1960's a string of here today gone tomorrow tenants led to a decline in trade, the Berkeley Arms almost closed. This quickly achieved what Temperance Movements had failed to do over many decades. Around 1969 a new floor was put down in the bar, to do so workmen had to remove 7 layers of old floor going way back in time, no archaeological Time Team in those days. The Berkeley Arm's fortunes were restored by Philip and Ruby Jones over their combined 23 year tenancy beginning in 1969. In the 1980's an old sealed up back room was opened, the floor was covered in a deep layer of old 19th century books. These may relate to a clearing of cupboards and discovery in 1896 of various deeds, wills and other documents relating to the 'Queen's Arms' and a former town inn called the 'Quart Pot' (pulled down in 1837).

Save up to 30% with our image packs

Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.

View discounts