How to sell Live News images on Alamy
- 1 Why Alamy is the best place to sell your Live News images
- 2 What images can I send to Alamy Live News?
- 3 Captions, headlines and dates for Live News images
- 4 How do I upload to the Alamy Live News Feed?
- 5 Quality Control for Live News
- 6 The legal guidelines for Live News images
- 7 When and how do I get paid for selling Live News images
Captions, headlines and dates for Live News images
Your image tells a story but no one will understand it unless you caption it correctly – and we can’t sell it without full, accurate captions and headlines. If your image doesn’t have this, our team might reject it from the News Feed.
It’s essential that before you upload your image, you add:
- A caption to the IPTC description field
- A headline to the IPTC headline field
- The date the image was taken (not the date of upload)
If you’re still not sure which IPTC fields to use then email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll send you an example image. You can open this in your editing software where you’ll see which IPTC fields you need to fill out and some helpful guidelines about what to write.
Headlines and captions are different. Headlines apply to all the images in a set from an event. The caption is specific to the individual image and describes what’s happening.
When you have two or more images from one event, all the images need exactly the same IPTC Headline to keep them together in the news feed. The headline needs to be in this format: General description of event, town/city, country (e.g. Grammy Awards red carpet, Los Angeles, USA).
It’s your image so you know what it’s about, but a picture editor seeing it for the first time will be completely lost unless you help them out with accurate captions which answer the basic questions:
- What is happening in the picture?
- When did it take place?
- Where did it take place?
- Why did it take place?
- How did it come about?
The caption needs to be in this format: town/city, country, date (in format 01st April, 2015.), description, credit.
For example: Los Angeles, USA. 1st Apr, 2015. Elton John trips over as he walks along the red carpet at the 101st Grammy Awards Ceremony in Los Angeles, USA. Credit: John Smith/Alamy Live News.
For more info, download our helpful PDF guide on captions and headlines for Alamy Live News.
If you’re using our Stockimo app and submitting photos taken on your iPhone using StockimoNews mode, the requirements are slightly different, but this is explained on the app.